Research Engagement and Impact2018 Visiting International Research Fellows to Flinders
Canada, Greece, Brazil and the United States of America are the countries represented by the Flinders' Visiting International Research Fellows (VIRF) for 2018. The purpose of the VIRF is to support engagement with high-performing international collaborators with Flinders. In order to achieve this the VIRFs will initiate and undertake collaborative research and training of researchers and students at Flinders during their visit, and engage and share ideas with researchers, with the aim of building lasting research collaboration. Another aim of the visits of the Fellow will be to lead to collaboration on an application for international research funding.
Dr Maria Giannacopoulos from Business, Government and Law will be hosting Onwubiko (Biko) Agozino from Virginia Tech, USA in June 2018. Biko is the Professor of Sociology and Africana Studies at Virginia Tech. While at Flinders Biko will be involved in a one day symposium with scholars whose work is concerned with law, colonialism and/or history.
Professor Andrew Goldsmith and Professor Christian Leuprecht from Business, Government and Law will be hosting Dr Todd Hataley from the Royal Military College (RMC) of Canada from April to May 2018. Todd is an investigator with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as well as an Adjunct Associate Professor with the RMC. While at Flinders, Todd will undertake a comparative study between Canada and Australia on policing efforts/capacity to combat trade based money laundering, the newest and possibly most complex form of money laundering. He will also present a public lecture on "Cross-border policing cooperation: The Canada - United States model".
Professor Justine Smith from Medicine and Public Health will be hosting Dr João Marcello Furtado from the Ribeirão Preo Medical School, University of São Paulo in September 2018. Since 2012, he has been Latin America's Strategic Advisor for the International Agency for Prevention of Blindness. As part of his visit, Justine and João will work on setting up an international research consortium on infectious eye disease.
Associate Professor Claire Drummond from Nursing and Health Sciences will be hosting Associate Professor Lance Dalleck from Western State Colorado University from May to June 2018. Lance is the Associate Professor of Exercise and Sport Science (ESS) and the Director, Center for Wellness and Human Performance at Western State Colorado University. While at Flinders Lance will provide valuable input into the development of the new Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology topics.
Professor Craig Simmons from Science and Engineering will be hosting Professor Rene Therrien from Universite Laval, Canada, from January to April 2018. Rene is the Vice Dean of Research from the Faculty of Science and Engineering and he has been collaborating with Craig since 1999. Rene will work with Craig and his team on a current awarded ARC grant, specifically the HydroGeoSphere modelling part of the project. Rene and his colleagues in Canada have been developing HydroGeoSphere for the past 15 years.
Associate Professor Sarah Harmer from Science and Engineering will be hosting Professor Adam Hitchcock from McMaster University, Canada, from October to December 2018. Adam is Canada Research Chair in Materials Research at McMaster University. Adam and Sarah have been collaborating over recent years on developing a new tool for in situ spectroscopic analysis of materials using Scanning Transmission X-ray Microscopy and Photoemission Electron Microscopy (STXM). While are Flinders, Sarah and Adam will run a workshop on STXM at the Australian Synchrotron Users Meeting.
Dr Grace Skrzypiec and Dr Phillip Slee from Education, Psychology and Social Work will be hosting Eleni Didaskalou from the University of Thesssaly, Greece, from January to March 2018. Eleni will deliver a seminar series with staff and postgraduate students while at Flinders and a webinar will be delivered to existing members of an international network of researchers in the field of education research by Eleni, Grace and Phillip.
Inspiring Research will feature upcoming stories and provide information on sessions with the VIRFs during 2018.
More posts in "Research Engagement and Impact" series:
- (13 Dec 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Ben Lewis
- (29 Nov 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs – Dr David Smith
- (29 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 29 November 2018
- (15 Nov 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs – Dr Lua Perimal-Lewis
- (14 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 15 November 2018
- (01 Nov 2018) Flinders research from an undergraduate class to a record breaking swim attempt
- (01 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 1 November 2018
- (31 Oct 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Bev Rogers
- (31 Oct 2018) Flinders researchers trip to Germany on bringing science to market
- (18 Oct 2018) Melbourne and Canberra fellowships advance research and leadership skills for Flinders researcher
- (18 Oct 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs - Dr Linlin Ma
- (18 Oct 2018) Research Roundup - 18 October 2018
- (04 Oct 2018) How can Australian innovation create new industries and jobs?
- (04 Oct 2018) Research Roundup - 4 October 2018
- (27 Sep 2018) Saving Nemo at Ngeringa Winery
- (20 Sep 2018) Assisting the UN and developing nations on how to measure wellbeing
- (20 Sep 2018) Equity Hub to assist translating research into change
- (06 Sep 2018) Steps to improve gender diversity in coastal geoscience and engineering
- (23 Aug 2018) Finding the invisible traces
- (09 Aug 2018) Diving in Deep to strengthen links with UNESCO members
- (09 Aug 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs
- (09 Aug 2018) Older Adults engaging for a better quality of life
- (08 Aug 2018) The scientist’s guide to a successful career in academia
- (27 Jul 2018) Flinders aiming to lead the blueeconomy
- (27 Jul 2018) Can you have a conversation with a computer?
- (12 Jul 2018) Flinders linking with arts and culture to explore their real value
- (12 Jul 2018) WHO internship for Flinders researcher
- (28 Jun 2018) Flinders linkage grants success
- (28 Jun 2018) Flinders’ led project top in Radiation Research
- (18 Jun 2018) Nothing going to waste - Flinders NIH Success
- (18 Jun 2018) ECR Spotlight - In Conversation with Dr Sam Elliott
- (29 May 2018) Flinders leading the reviews to improve remote health
- (17 May 2018) Generating conversation through The Conversation
- (15 May 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Ashok Manoharan 2018
- (03 May 2018) Flinders’ Archaeologist off to Cambridge for a year
- (26 Mar 2018) New chapter of Indigenous history told through food
- (08 Mar 2018) Flinders linking with Indigenous groups to explore aspects of colonial Australia
- (22 Feb 2018) ECR Spotlight - Ian Moffat
- (21 Feb 2018) Flinders working to Beat Cancer
- (25 Jan 2018) Why are little penguins declining?
- (25 Jan 2018) Scimex - Register now to be a part of breaking news
- (24 Jan 2018) ECR Spotlight - Alice Clement
- (21 Dec 2017) A Flinders first - automated launch and recovery for autonomous underwater vessels
- (13 Dec 2017) 2017 Vice-Chancellor's Award for Early Career Researchers
- (11 Dec 2017) ECR Spotlight - Vishnu KK Nair
- (06 Dec 2017) NHMRC success for Flinders
- (24 Nov 2017) Aiming to improve the health, education and wellbeing of children
- (17 Nov 2017) Accelerating the Interplay Wellbeing Framework
- (16 Nov 2017) 2018 Visiting International Research Fellows to Flinders
- (15 Nov 2017) ECR Spotlight - Ashokkumar Manoharan
- (15 Nov 2017) 2018 Flinders Endeavour Scholars and Fellows announced
- (14 Nov 2017) Time to Bragg about science writing
- (10 Nov 2017) Flinders Forensic Science cleans up at Awards
- (10 Nov 2017) Flinders successes in the recent ARC grant round
- (30 Oct 2017) Students Present Around the World
- (20 Oct 2017) Over $8 Million to Flinders from the National Palliative Care round
- (19 Oct 2017) ECR Spotlight - Sam Schultz
- (17 Oct 2017) Flinders' Fresh Scientists in the Pub
- (11 Oct 2017) Indigenous knowledge, not just for Indigenous communities
- (06 Oct 2017) Leading Drug and Alcohol researchers at Flinders’ NCETA secure $1.7 million in funding
- (05 Oct 2017) ECR Spotlight - Margaret Shanafield
- (28 Sep 2017) Our Distinguished Geographer
- (07 Sep 2017) ECR Spotlight - George Karpetis
- (01 Sep 2017) Eureka! Prize for blood test for bowel cancer recurrence
- (22 Aug 2017) Different environments, different DNA, different dolphins?
- (17 Aug 2017) ECR Spotlight - Dr Harriet Whiley
- (03 Aug 2017) ECR Spotlight - Giselle Rampersad
- (17 Jul 2017) Time to Scope your research - FAST
- (17 Jul 2017) Time to Scope your research - Hoverflies
- (13 Jul 2017) Tips from a first time interviewee
- (12 Jul 2017) Saving Nemo at the Star of Greece
- (07 Jul 2017) Invasion of the European crabs
- (20 Jun 2017) Fossil finds bring Australia's evolutionary history to life
- (07 Jun 2017) Peer Prize up for grabs
- (02 Jun 2017) Tracking the marine ecosystems in South Australia
- (29 May 2017) Be Your Best for Impact
- (18 May 2017) Aiming to catch criminals as never before
- (05 May 2017) Excavating with and in a Community
- (29 Apr 2017) What does engagement look like? Community-initiated research.
- (24 Apr 2017) Planning for one of the world’s youngest nations
- (07 Apr 2017) Pitching ON tasty seaweed jelly
- (29 Mar 2017) Best and Brightest for Hearts
- (27 Mar 2017) The Best Student Publications - Flinders 2016 edition
- (16 Mar 2017) From workshop to book - Underwater archaeology and 3D
- (21 Dec 2016) Recent Funding Success
- (21 Dec 2016) Research Impact - Point of Care Testing
- (21 Dec 2016) New ARC College of Experts
- (20 Dec 2016) Flinders Celebrates - 2016 Research Successes
- (19 Dec 2016) Vice-Chancellor Awards for Research Excellence
- (19 Dec 2016) Cardiology, Mental Health Projects among NHMRC Grant Success