Research Engagement and ImpactScimex - Register now to be a part of breaking news
Are you a researcher who realises the importance of sharing your research with a wider audience? Maybe you've seen your field of science misrepresented or badly reported in the news. Would you like to be heard when your field of expertise hits the news? Scimex enables researchers to communicate science to the public through the media and is free for experts.
Since it's launch in 2015, Scimex has enabled researchers and journalists to collaborate on effectively communicating research science to a variety of audiences. "SciMex provides a direct link to journalists," said Annie Hastwell, Journalist at the Australian Science Media Centre. "More than 1500 national and international journalists use this database as their first point of call to find scientific experts for media interview and comment."
Registering for Scimex is easy, and for those already registered now is the time to update your profile, ready for a new year of amazing discoveries and stories to tell. "Being registered significantly increases your chance to comment on breaking news and be quoted in the media," said Annie. "When research experts sign up to our database, we will reach out to them whenever their field of expertise is in the news to ask them to provide comment for Expert Reactions. We monitor the coverage these comments receive and keep the researchers informed."
Scimex has an easy to follow registration process where you create your own expert profile listing, and you can promote your research to journalists and add events to the Scimex event listing. Below is an example of an Expert Profile, courtesy of Scimex.
The Flinders Media Officer contact is Tania Bawden, Journalist (Research) Office of Communication and Engagement. Tania can also be contacted via mobile on 0434 101 516. Karen Ashford, Director - Media and Communications in the Office of Communication and Engagement, can also be contacted for assistance and advice in media training (M: 0427 398 713).
Where to go if you are contacted by the media?
The Office of Communication and Engagement at Flinders offers media training in group and one-on-one sessions. Contact the Office of Communication and Engagement as your first point of call if you have been contacted by the media.
Other handy media links
The Conversation has experienced journalists and editors who can provide assistance and advice to those wanting to start out or improve their writing communication skills in respect to print media. Flinders is a supporter of The Conversation and encourages our academics to get involved.
The Media Centre for Education Research Australia (MCERA) assists in improving the quality of research-informed education reporting.
Science Media Savvy provides some excellent top tips for researchers.RiAus, based here in Adelaide, and Science in Public run workshops on media training throughout the year around Australia.
More posts in "Research Engagement and Impact" series:
- (13 Dec 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Ben Lewis
- (29 Nov 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs – Dr David Smith
- (29 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 29 November 2018
- (15 Nov 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs – Dr Lua Perimal-Lewis
- (14 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 15 November 2018
- (01 Nov 2018) Flinders research from an undergraduate class to a record breaking swim attempt
- (01 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 1 November 2018
- (31 Oct 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Bev Rogers
- (31 Oct 2018) Flinders researchers trip to Germany on bringing science to market
- (18 Oct 2018) Melbourne and Canberra fellowships advance research and leadership skills for Flinders researcher
- (18 Oct 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs - Dr Linlin Ma
- (18 Oct 2018) Research Roundup - 18 October 2018
- (04 Oct 2018) How can Australian innovation create new industries and jobs?
- (04 Oct 2018) Research Roundup - 4 October 2018
- (27 Sep 2018) Saving Nemo at Ngeringa Winery
- (20 Sep 2018) Assisting the UN and developing nations on how to measure wellbeing
- (20 Sep 2018) Equity Hub to assist translating research into change
- (06 Sep 2018) Steps to improve gender diversity in coastal geoscience and engineering
- (23 Aug 2018) Finding the invisible traces
- (09 Aug 2018) Diving in Deep to strengthen links with UNESCO members
- (09 Aug 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs
- (09 Aug 2018) Older Adults engaging for a better quality of life
- (08 Aug 2018) The scientist’s guide to a successful career in academia
- (27 Jul 2018) Flinders aiming to lead the blueeconomy
- (27 Jul 2018) Can you have a conversation with a computer?
- (12 Jul 2018) Flinders linking with arts and culture to explore their real value
- (12 Jul 2018) WHO internship for Flinders researcher
- (28 Jun 2018) Flinders linkage grants success
- (28 Jun 2018) Flinders’ led project top in Radiation Research
- (18 Jun 2018) Nothing going to waste - Flinders NIH Success
- (18 Jun 2018) ECR Spotlight - In Conversation with Dr Sam Elliott
- (29 May 2018) Flinders leading the reviews to improve remote health
- (17 May 2018) Generating conversation through The Conversation
- (15 May 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Ashok Manoharan 2018
- (03 May 2018) Flinders’ Archaeologist off to Cambridge for a year
- (26 Mar 2018) New chapter of Indigenous history told through food
- (08 Mar 2018) Flinders linking with Indigenous groups to explore aspects of colonial Australia
- (22 Feb 2018) ECR Spotlight - Ian Moffat
- (21 Feb 2018) Flinders working to Beat Cancer
- (25 Jan 2018) Why are little penguins declining?
- (25 Jan 2018) Scimex - Register now to be a part of breaking news
- (24 Jan 2018) ECR Spotlight - Alice Clement
- (21 Dec 2017) A Flinders first - automated launch and recovery for autonomous underwater vessels
- (13 Dec 2017) 2017 Vice-Chancellor's Award for Early Career Researchers
- (11 Dec 2017) ECR Spotlight - Vishnu KK Nair
- (06 Dec 2017) NHMRC success for Flinders
- (24 Nov 2017) Aiming to improve the health, education and wellbeing of children
- (17 Nov 2017) Accelerating the Interplay Wellbeing Framework
- (16 Nov 2017) 2018 Visiting International Research Fellows to Flinders
- (15 Nov 2017) ECR Spotlight - Ashokkumar Manoharan
- (15 Nov 2017) 2018 Flinders Endeavour Scholars and Fellows announced
- (14 Nov 2017) Time to Bragg about science writing
- (10 Nov 2017) Flinders Forensic Science cleans up at Awards
- (10 Nov 2017) Flinders successes in the recent ARC grant round
- (30 Oct 2017) Students Present Around the World
- (20 Oct 2017) Over $8 Million to Flinders from the National Palliative Care round
- (19 Oct 2017) ECR Spotlight - Sam Schultz
- (17 Oct 2017) Flinders' Fresh Scientists in the Pub
- (11 Oct 2017) Indigenous knowledge, not just for Indigenous communities
- (06 Oct 2017) Leading Drug and Alcohol researchers at Flinders’ NCETA secure $1.7 million in funding
- (05 Oct 2017) ECR Spotlight - Margaret Shanafield
- (28 Sep 2017) Our Distinguished Geographer
- (07 Sep 2017) ECR Spotlight - George Karpetis
- (01 Sep 2017) Eureka! Prize for blood test for bowel cancer recurrence
- (22 Aug 2017) Different environments, different DNA, different dolphins?
- (17 Aug 2017) ECR Spotlight - Dr Harriet Whiley
- (03 Aug 2017) ECR Spotlight - Giselle Rampersad
- (17 Jul 2017) Time to Scope your research - FAST
- (17 Jul 2017) Time to Scope your research - Hoverflies
- (13 Jul 2017) Tips from a first time interviewee
- (12 Jul 2017) Saving Nemo at the Star of Greece
- (07 Jul 2017) Invasion of the European crabs
- (20 Jun 2017) Fossil finds bring Australia's evolutionary history to life
- (07 Jun 2017) Peer Prize up for grabs
- (02 Jun 2017) Tracking the marine ecosystems in South Australia
- (29 May 2017) Be Your Best for Impact
- (18 May 2017) Aiming to catch criminals as never before
- (05 May 2017) Excavating with and in a Community
- (29 Apr 2017) What does engagement look like? Community-initiated research.
- (24 Apr 2017) Planning for one of the world’s youngest nations
- (07 Apr 2017) Pitching ON tasty seaweed jelly
- (29 Mar 2017) Best and Brightest for Hearts
- (27 Mar 2017) The Best Student Publications - Flinders 2016 edition
- (16 Mar 2017) From workshop to book - Underwater archaeology and 3D
- (21 Dec 2016) Recent Funding Success
- (21 Dec 2016) Research Impact - Point of Care Testing
- (21 Dec 2016) New ARC College of Experts
- (20 Dec 2016) Flinders Celebrates - 2016 Research Successes
- (19 Dec 2016) Vice-Chancellor Awards for Research Excellence
- (19 Dec 2016) Cardiology, Mental Health Projects among NHMRC Grant Success