Research Engagement and ImpactFlinders linkage grants success
Four projects led by Flinders University have received funding success in the recent Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage grant funding announcements. Flinders now has a total of 6 projects that have been funded through the ARC Linkage Projects Scheme in 2018, after two Flinders led projects were announced in the first release.
The project teams include researchers from Flinders’ Colleges of: Business, Government and Law (CBGL); Education, Psychology and Social Work (CEPSW); Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS); Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS), and; Science and Engineering (CSE).
Promoting engagement with life in older adulthood was awarded $202,623. Flinders’ Dr Timothy Windsor (CEPSW), Professor Mary Luszcz (CEPSW), Dr Ruth Walker (CNHS) are working with Dr Trevor Mazzucchelli (Curtin University), Associate Professor Robert Stawski (Oregon State University) and Ms Amber Watt (University of Adelaide). The project will consider the increase in engagement by older adults to assist organisations and aged care service providers adopting innovative approaches to promoting ageing well. The team are partnering with Oregon State University, ECH Incorporated, the City of Okaparinga, and the Office for the Ageing.
Meaningfully communicating the value of arts and culture through reporting was awarded $180,437. Flinders’ Professor Julian Meyrick (CHASS), Professor Robert Phiddian (CHASS), Professor Richard Maltby (CHASS), Dr Tully Barnett (CHASS) will be working together with Mr Peter Louca (Arts SA), Ms Satu Teppo (Arts SA) and Ms Christabel Anthoney (Festivals Adelaide). The project aims to change the way culture can be valued and measured through reporting.
Economic complexity as a driver of innovation and smart specialisation will be working with SA Department for Industry and Skills (Formerly Department of State Development). The project was awarded $143.646. Flinders’ Professor John Spoehr (CSE), Associate Professor Giselle Rampersad (CSE), Professor David Powers (CSE), Dr Rong Zhu (CBGL) and Professor John Quiggin (University of Queensland), aim to determine how economic complexity can drive innovation and smart specialisation, and how industry can be supported to transition to a more competitive economy.
Professor Adrian Linacre (CSE) and Professor Kenneth (Paul) Kirkbride’s (CSE) project Visualisation of latent DNA was awarded $106,705. Adrian and Paul will be working with Forensic Science SA and the Australia New Zealand Policing Advisory Agency. The project aims to deliver a proof-of-concept that allows visualisation of invisible DNA (latent DNA) into a quick, inexpensive and practical DNA collection method that will lead to DNA evidence being available in more cases.
Each of these projects will be featured in upcoming Inspiring Research articles.
The two earlier successful projects have been featured in Inspiring Research - Dr Michael Morrison (CHASS) and Associate Professor Amy Roberts (CHASS) - Interrogating the Riverland's colonial frontier, and Dr Michael Morrison and Dr Darlene McNaughton’s (CMPH) - Indigenous foodways in colonial Cape York Peninsula.
Changes have been made to the Linkages round, with the ARC moving to a continuous submission and assessment of proposals. As there are no set closing dates, researchers and their partner organisations can work on proposals at any time throughout the year. Please contact the ARC Grants Team in Flinders RDS, for further information.
More posts in "Research Engagement and Impact" series:
- (13 Dec 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Ben Lewis
- (29 Nov 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs – Dr David Smith
- (29 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 29 November 2018
- (15 Nov 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs – Dr Lua Perimal-Lewis
- (14 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 15 November 2018
- (01 Nov 2018) Flinders research from an undergraduate class to a record breaking swim attempt
- (01 Nov 2018) Research Roundup - 1 November 2018
- (31 Oct 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Bev Rogers
- (31 Oct 2018) Flinders researchers trip to Germany on bringing science to market
- (18 Oct 2018) Melbourne and Canberra fellowships advance research and leadership skills for Flinders researcher
- (18 Oct 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs - Dr Linlin Ma
- (18 Oct 2018) Research Roundup - 18 October 2018
- (04 Oct 2018) How can Australian innovation create new industries and jobs?
- (04 Oct 2018) Research Roundup - 4 October 2018
- (27 Sep 2018) Saving Nemo at Ngeringa Winery
- (20 Sep 2018) Assisting the UN and developing nations on how to measure wellbeing
- (20 Sep 2018) Equity Hub to assist translating research into change
- (06 Sep 2018) Steps to improve gender diversity in coastal geoscience and engineering
- (23 Aug 2018) Finding the invisible traces
- (09 Aug 2018) Diving in Deep to strengthen links with UNESCO members
- (09 Aug 2018) Impact Seed Funding – supporting our Flinders ECRs
- (09 Aug 2018) Older Adults engaging for a better quality of life
- (08 Aug 2018) The scientist’s guide to a successful career in academia
- (27 Jul 2018) Flinders aiming to lead the blueeconomy
- (27 Jul 2018) Can you have a conversation with a computer?
- (12 Jul 2018) Flinders linking with arts and culture to explore their real value
- (12 Jul 2018) WHO internship for Flinders researcher
- (28 Jun 2018) Flinders linkage grants success
- (28 Jun 2018) Flinders’ led project top in Radiation Research
- (18 Jun 2018) Nothing going to waste - Flinders NIH Success
- (18 Jun 2018) ECR Spotlight - In Conversation with Dr Sam Elliott
- (29 May 2018) Flinders leading the reviews to improve remote health
- (17 May 2018) Generating conversation through The Conversation
- (15 May 2018) ECR Spotlight - Dr Ashok Manoharan 2018
- (03 May 2018) Flinders’ Archaeologist off to Cambridge for a year
- (26 Mar 2018) New chapter of Indigenous history told through food
- (08 Mar 2018) Flinders linking with Indigenous groups to explore aspects of colonial Australia
- (22 Feb 2018) ECR Spotlight - Ian Moffat
- (21 Feb 2018) Flinders working to Beat Cancer
- (25 Jan 2018) Why are little penguins declining?
- (25 Jan 2018) Scimex - Register now to be a part of breaking news
- (24 Jan 2018) ECR Spotlight - Alice Clement
- (21 Dec 2017) A Flinders first - automated launch and recovery for autonomous underwater vessels
- (13 Dec 2017) 2017 Vice-Chancellor's Award for Early Career Researchers
- (11 Dec 2017) ECR Spotlight - Vishnu KK Nair
- (06 Dec 2017) NHMRC success for Flinders
- (24 Nov 2017) Aiming to improve the health, education and wellbeing of children
- (17 Nov 2017) Accelerating the Interplay Wellbeing Framework
- (16 Nov 2017) 2018 Visiting International Research Fellows to Flinders
- (15 Nov 2017) ECR Spotlight - Ashokkumar Manoharan
- (15 Nov 2017) 2018 Flinders Endeavour Scholars and Fellows announced
- (14 Nov 2017) Time to Bragg about science writing
- (10 Nov 2017) Flinders Forensic Science cleans up at Awards
- (10 Nov 2017) Flinders successes in the recent ARC grant round
- (30 Oct 2017) Students Present Around the World
- (20 Oct 2017) Over $8 Million to Flinders from the National Palliative Care round
- (19 Oct 2017) ECR Spotlight - Sam Schultz
- (17 Oct 2017) Flinders' Fresh Scientists in the Pub
- (11 Oct 2017) Indigenous knowledge, not just for Indigenous communities
- (06 Oct 2017) Leading Drug and Alcohol researchers at Flinders’ NCETA secure $1.7 million in funding
- (05 Oct 2017) ECR Spotlight - Margaret Shanafield
- (28 Sep 2017) Our Distinguished Geographer
- (07 Sep 2017) ECR Spotlight - George Karpetis
- (01 Sep 2017) Eureka! Prize for blood test for bowel cancer recurrence
- (22 Aug 2017) Different environments, different DNA, different dolphins?
- (17 Aug 2017) ECR Spotlight - Dr Harriet Whiley
- (03 Aug 2017) ECR Spotlight - Giselle Rampersad
- (17 Jul 2017) Time to Scope your research - FAST
- (17 Jul 2017) Time to Scope your research - Hoverflies
- (13 Jul 2017) Tips from a first time interviewee
- (12 Jul 2017) Saving Nemo at the Star of Greece
- (07 Jul 2017) Invasion of the European crabs
- (20 Jun 2017) Fossil finds bring Australia's evolutionary history to life
- (07 Jun 2017) Peer Prize up for grabs
- (02 Jun 2017) Tracking the marine ecosystems in South Australia
- (29 May 2017) Be Your Best for Impact
- (18 May 2017) Aiming to catch criminals as never before
- (05 May 2017) Excavating with and in a Community
- (29 Apr 2017) What does engagement look like? Community-initiated research.
- (24 Apr 2017) Planning for one of the world’s youngest nations
- (07 Apr 2017) Pitching ON tasty seaweed jelly
- (29 Mar 2017) Best and Brightest for Hearts
- (27 Mar 2017) The Best Student Publications - Flinders 2016 edition
- (16 Mar 2017) From workshop to book - Underwater archaeology and 3D
- (21 Dec 2016) Recent Funding Success
- (21 Dec 2016) Research Impact - Point of Care Testing
- (21 Dec 2016) New ARC College of Experts
- (20 Dec 2016) Flinders Celebrates - 2016 Research Successes
- (19 Dec 2016) Vice-Chancellor Awards for Research Excellence
- (19 Dec 2016) Cardiology, Mental Health Projects among NHMRC Grant Success